In this tech-savvy 21st century age, everyone expects best technology in their area of use without having to spend much of their time, money or effort. This also holds true while users surf websites and mobile apps of their choice. They expect a quick and efficient web response, and overall a wholesomely enjoyable, useful and gratifying usage experience. This is where User Interface (UI) and User Experience Design (UX) play a key role in determining consumer-level success of your websites and mobile apps. Let’s understand what UI and UX design mean and how they are different, popular and useful.
Talking specifically of mobile apps, there are millions of them on the app stores. While some taste success while others have to bite the dust, the successful ones do have a pleasant look and feel. Many app users look for appeal and user-friendliness over everything else, which takes us to the User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) of the mobile apps. A great UI creates an amazing first impression of your app, while a great UX leaves a lasting impact on the minds of the users. For an application to be successful, it is crucial that it has both a great UI and an amazing UX.
UI design is all about appearance: The User Interface (UI) stands for the presentation and the interaction of the mobile app or website and looks at improving it in every possible way. Each individual screen, pages, buttons, forms, banners and other visual elements together form the UI of that website or application.
UX design is all about the experience: User Experience (UX) pertains to the overall experience of the users when they interact with the app or the website in order to meet their specific objective. UX design seeks to improve this experience keeping the app consumers in mind. The focus lies on structuring an application and wireframing all its elements and components to create a user flow.
The UI/UX Design of a website or an application improves consumer satisfaction, increasing web traction and ultimately growing the top-line and the bottom-line of the business. An impeccable UI/UX attracts users amidst their short and fragile attention span and holds them for long enough to build brand recall and recognition. Core components of UI/UX Design are information architecture, interaction design, usability, wireframing, and visual design.
- Information Architecture (IA): IA means designing the app’s information structure in line with the overall business strategy. It intends to ease navigation for users irrespective of the browser or the device they use.
- Interaction Design: The concept of the app based on which the users interact with it forms the basis of its interaction design. It involves elements such as graphics, sound, space, motion, aesthetics, colour, font etc.
- Usability: Also referred to as the user-friendliness of the app, usability ensures that the app users, including the first-time visitors, get the information that they want. It also facilitates easy app navigation as well as effective error handling.
- Wireframing: Creating a sample, a prototype or a pilot of the app or the website before its actual launch comprises of wireframing. It makes for a smart way to test functionality and evaluate the app before launch.
- Visual Design: The visual design of an application defines its brand in the minds of its users. Visual design thus drives user behaviour on the app and impacts user interaction through a consciously crafted app appearance.
Why your app needs an efficient and effective UI/UX Design is because of all of the following reasons.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction leading to increased ROI: With engaging content presentation, easy navigation and smart interaction, a great app design leaves the consumer satisfied. Through both customer retention and recommendation, your app then fetches enhanced ROI for your business.
- Facilitates your understanding of the audience: UI/UX is not a static activity; you need to iterate upon it periodically so that you address the needs of your clients and consumers. It also allows you to segment your consumers based on their needs, wants and expectations, leading to increased lead conversions too.
- Brand building: A happy UI/UX means a happy app consumer and happy business clients. Increased user engagement on your app translates into brand strengthening, improving your business credibility and perception, as also stronger relationships and value addition.
- Smart saving of time, money and effort: Investing in a great UI/UX design means that your application consumers are less likely to find faults, problems or displeasures with your app or website. You save upon the need for frequent upgrades and get it right the first time itself.
Effectively, UI/UX Design guide your app users into engaging with your required and placed call to action in an effective manner, leading to increased business results. Being a critical aspect of your website or application, it is the single-most important factor determining the success of the app or the website that your business banks upon. Yes, you need to plan, research and systematize your approach to UI/UX design for your application by comprehending the needs, wants, expectations and preferences of your target audience.
ABSYZ is a trusted technology partner for many businesses across the globe and has extended consultation and implementation of cloud applications, including UI/UX Design to them. To know more about how you too can leverage a great UI/UX design with us on your latest web application project, contact us.