How to Create Dataset, Lens and Dashboard in Wave Analytics
In my previous blog post Basics of Wave Analytics, I have explained you the differences between Reports and Dashboards VS Wave Analytics, and basic capabilities, licenses, and permissions needed for Wave. Now let’s dive deeper to know the most important features of Wave Analytics. I am going to show you how to implement dataset, lens, and dashboard with data from CSV file.
How to create Dataset?
A dataset is a specific view of a data source based on how you’ve customized it.
- In the Analytics app, click on the Create button and click on the Dataset.
- Analytics provided the feature to pull the data from the different sources.Here, I am using CSV file of account records with standard fields Name, Rating, phone, Amount, Industry, and Type to upload the file.
- Provide the Dataset Name and choose the App where you want to store the dataset and choose the CSV file to upload and click on the Create Dataset.
- Now Analytics confirms that dataset has been successfully uploaded.
- To verify whether the job has completed successfully, follow the below steps,
- Click on the gear icon on the header page and then click on the Data Manager to open the data monitor. It shows the status of the dataflow and the data upload jobs.
- Click on the refresh jobs icon to view the latest status of the jobs.
6. Now the Dataflow has been successfully uploaded, in case if there are any errors download the job file and make the necessary change and upload the file.
7.To download the JSON file in the action list click on the Download, your JSON file will be downloaded
8. Open the dataflow in the in a JSON of the text editor and make the necessary modifications.
9. Use a JSON validation tool, there are many tools available on the internet to verify that the JSON is valid.
10. Save and Close the dataflow file.
11. To upload the saved file in the action list click on the Upload file and select the JSON file and then run the dataflow jobs.
12. Click on the refresh icon to view the latest status of the dataflow job.
13. You can view the dataset after the dataflow job completes successfully.
Note: Not only the CSV files, we can pull the data from Salesforce objects and Informatica.
How to create the Lens?
A lens is a particular view into a dataset’s data. It’s where you do exploratory analysis and visualizations.
- Now you can Create lens from the generated dataset.
- Click on the dataset that you have generated recently you will be redirected to Lens.
- In the left panel, there are three important things to be noticed
- Measure: A measure is a quantitative value, like revenue and exchange rate. You can do math on measures, such as count, sum, Maximum of the revenue, Minimum of the revenue, etc.,
- Group By: You can group by with different elements based on the criteria.
- Filter By: You can filter the field based on the different conditions same as the report filter in Salesforce.
4. In the right side of the plane, there are different modules like undo, redo, you can view the history, Clip, Share the lens, save, Chart mode, Table mode, SAQL mode.
- Different types of the charts available in the Lens are
5. By default, you will get the bar chart to change the type of the chart click on the chart mode to change the type of the chart.Here am using the Donut Chart.
6. In the above chart, I have done the measure with Sum of Amount, group by using the Industry and filter by Rating fields.
7. Do necessary modifications of the chart and click on the save button.
8. To use this lens in the Dashboard click on the scissor icon, give any name and click the Clip to Designer button, this clip can be used in the dashboard.
9. Your lens has been saved successfully.
10. Similarly, clip the different lens and use them in the dashboard.
How to create the dashboard?
A dashboard is an interactive collection of widgets showing different snapshots from one or more lenses to tell a story from different angles.
- Navigate to the Home page and click on the Create button and click on the Dashboard.
- In the Dashboard, there are different options with high end and user-friendly UI.
- Now click on the Create Step.
- You can choose your dataset that you have recently created or you can use the clipped lens in the dashboard
- Drag and drop the lens to Dashboard plane.
- In the above plane, i have clipped some lenses and am using in the dashboard.
- In the left side of the panel you can add different charts apart from that we can add links, Images, Text and much more.
- Here is the final Dashboard in all it’s glory, after adding different charts, images, and Text to the dashboard. This is the beauty of Wave, The charts, and Dashboards used in Wave are dynamic and responsive in nature. Something which you won’t get in Reports and Dashboards.
In the next blog post, I will show how to create the dataset using the Salesforce objects.